Monday, October 8, 2012

Did She Make It?

Since I know the burning question on everyone's mind is whether or not I had a successful trip to the grocery store today... NOT! I know you all have much more interesting things to ponder than my personal challenge.

Just in case you're curious... I did it! I was under my budget of $33.50 by $1.12, which means I could have treated myself to the avocado I didn't put on my list because I'd added a bell pepper and knew it was going to be expensive.

When I first entered the store I made certain to check the circular that is always available to see if anything on my list was on sale. Sure enough, canned tomatoes were 2 for $1.00 with a coupon, so I gleefully tore it out and decided to get four cans instead of two. I now have tomatoes to last the rest of the month.

While I was at the store, I purchased freezer bags. The split pea soup I made last week is freezing. I cooked up ground turkey for one of the two salads I make ahead for the week. I froze half of it for next week. There are seven salads in the refrigerator for lunch this week. I also took the time to make the black bean and quinoa dish I wrote about last week.

As promised here is the recipe. I only had a list of the ingredients I use with no measurements. I paid attention (kinda) to what I was doing while I put it together so I could share.

-----oOo-----

Carol's Black Bean and Quinoa {aka:: BeanWa}

1 1/2C cooked black beans (or a drained 14oz. can)
2C cooked quinoa
1/2C sliced leeks
1C packaged broccoli slaw or coleslaw
cumin
dried basil
salt
fresh ground pepper
2T olive oil

In a large saute' pan heat olive oil. Add leeks and slaw. Salt and pepper lightly, cook until veggies are translucent. Add quinoa to pan, stir in veggies, continue cooking. Add beans to mixture, stir well. Season with basil, and cumin. Be generous! Add salt and pepper to taste.

This dish is great warmed on top of salad. It's a nice side dish, and makes a good wrap in a spinach tortilla with cheese and salsa. I enjoy the texture of the quinoa, and the sweetness of the cabbage/broccoli in this dish. Plus I suspect it's pretty good for you.

-----oOo-----

Now for something completely unrelated to my challenge.

I had a conversation with my next door neighbor this afternoon regarding a very large tree we share between our properties. It's a silver leaf maple. It stands over 40' and is a great source of shade for our west facing homes.

This winter, during a gusty night, a large branch came out of the tree and took out a couple of lines to my neighbor's house. They had a well respected Arborist take a look at it. This was the same gentleman I would have called for a second opinion.

The diagnosis for the tree is pretty grim. It has a fungal rot occurring in the root system. Additionally, a large portion of the tree is a sucker branch that has grown up to constitute more than half the tree. That part of the tree is dangerous in its own right. With the disease process going on it is only a matter of time before the tree comes down and does major damage to one or both of our homes.

My neighbors will be losing a large part of their landscaping when the tree comes down. It has been a shade source for two large rhododendrons, a couple of camillas, a Japanese maple, and many shade loving bedding plants. They're researching quick growing trees to plant in the maple's place, and will put in the largest one they can afford before the end of autumn. They're going to pay for the removal of the tree.

With a heavy heart I've agreed to let them proceed. I've asked they let me know the tree's removal date so I'm not surprised by the sound of chainsaws at a ghastly hour of the morning. Perhaps taking out the maple will let my very tall and columnar Gingko tree start spreading out at the top. It has always competed with the maple trees spreading branches.

As I told my neighbor I guess this is one way to avoid raking up all those leaves this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...