Monday, October 15, 2012

Typical Monday

...except as we're all aware, it's raining!

It feels as if fall has finally gotten here with this first soggy weekend. I like putting on my sweater and socks.

I did my shopping today for the third week of the food stamp challenge. My list was so short I found myself looking for things to add, and I was still under by $4.23!

This exercise has been teaching me some important lessons.

•The first is I tend to purchase the same things week in and week out.

•A list and a calculator are imperative. I also make certain I look for specials as I'm going along and check the ads before starting to shop.

•I don't roam around the store. I know where everything is located, and don't spend much time browsing. If I have to go into unfamiliar territory (aka: the interior of the grocery store) I only head down the aisle that houses what I'm seeking.

•It's important to go grocery shopping when you have time. Rushing in is the best way to go over budget. It's nice to slow down once in awhile, why not at the grocery store?

•It pays to do the math. Today, I had almond milk on my list. One brand was on sale for $2.79. The competing brand wasn't on sale, but there was a coupon for 55¢ off. It was $3.29 before the coupon. After the coupon it was $2.74. Guess which one went into my cart?

•The scales in the produce department are nearly useless! My calculations on six of the bulk items I purchased were off. I had calculated high which is why I didn't spend the full amount this week.

Next week is the last week I'll be shopping on the budget I've given myself. I realize $33.50 per week is not much money to spend on food, but it can be done. I suspect once this personal challenge has come to an end I'll likely continue limiting the amount I spend on groceries.

In other Monday news....

My precious kitty had a visit with the vet today. He's hyperthyroid and has gotten quite thin. Today he weighed in at 8lbs. 11oz! He gained four ounces since his last visit. In human terms that's not much, but in cat terms it's pretty good. The vet was pleased, and depending on his thyroid levels we may adjust his medication. She's also hopeful that with this slight weight gain we may be able to get some lean muscle back onto his scrawny frame.

I sure hope so, he's rather knobby.

Time to go make salads for the week... and since I've had a few people inquiring about them, here's an illustration I found which explains how to make them::


Image source:: http://www.bureauofbetterment.com/blog/salad-in-a-jar/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...