Sunday, July 21, 2013

It's What's For Dinner

Today, I made a couple of discoveries.

The first one was likely more about dumb luck than discovering anything. Did you know that if you go to the grocery store at 2:30 on a Sunday afternoon when it's 103° out you will find parking so close it's nearly in the lobby? And better yet, not only will it be nice and cool inside, the aisles will be devoid of slow moving shoppers. It was every grocery shoppers dream come true.

Until I had to get back into my car.

The other discovery was food oriented.

Not long ago there was an article in our local paper about a local restaurant's success serving cold soups. For some reason the idea stuck with me.

When I unpacked my groceries all I could think was how nice it would be to have something chilled for dinner. A quick check of the interwebz and my favorite vegan cook book lead me to the conclusion that I had everything I needed to make Gazpacho.

... and just like I do when I sit down to bead... I winged it!

I made a delicious (and likely, never to be repeated) Watermelon/Cucumber Gazpacho. All of the ingredients I used were organic as I'd shopped at the Medford Food Co-Op today.

Into the food processor I tossed a small wedge of watermelon, most of a cucumber, two roma tomatoes, one half of an avocado, three big spoonfuls of pesto, a couple of squeezes of fresh lemon juice, and some kosher salt. I whirred it up until it was pulpy, then put it into the refrigerator to chill.

I enjoyed two bowls topped with slices of cucumber and avocado along with some rustic bread slathered with brie.

Tomorrow, I think I'll see what I can do with some cantaloupe, and a yellow bell pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...