Monday, October 1, 2012

Two Challenges

During a conversation with my mom last week we found ourselves on the topic of the rising cost of food. She shared with me that she's been having an email exchange with a good friend debating whether it is less expensive to feed one person, or to feed a family of four. She contends it costs less to feed more people. Her friend isn't convinced.

Many years ago we proved that feeding more people does indeed lower the cost of the servings. Every month, my mom, sister, and I would prepare and freeze main courses for four households. I know, sounds like a bunch of people, but two households were singles. Altogether we were cooking for seven. We'd track our cost per serving with our best month coming in under 70¢.

Time, boredom, and burgeoning waistlines caused us to quit after nearly two years.

Anyway, back to the challenge.

I guess my conversation with my mom opened up my consciousness. A few days ago, I came across an article on Yahoo! about the mayor of Phoenix, AZ taking a week-long challenge to spend no more on food than a single constituent receives in his state on food stamps. In Arizona a single person receives $29.00 per week. Then the folks at Food, Inc. linked to the article on Facebook.

The comments on the Food, Inc. link got me to thinking. I've never known a day of hunger in my life. I've paid little attention to what I spend. Would it be possible for me to make it through one month spending the same amount as a person receiving food stamp assistance and eat well-balanced meals?

A challenge was born, because I've decided I'm going to give it a try.

The national average benefit at the end of the fiscal year 2011 for one person receiving food stamp assistance is $33.50 per week. That's $134.00 per month, the same amount I normally spend in two weeks!

After taking inventory of my kitchen I realized I was in a pretty good place for beginning the challenge. There are packages of beans, white and brown rice, quinoa, lentils, and cornmeal in the cupboard. My supply of canned goods needed no restocking. There were veggies for salads, and enough coffee to get through the rest of the week.

Off to the grocery store I went with a small list in hand. Most of the items I wanted were fresh fruits and vegetables. I spent $33.28, just squeaking under my budget.

I purchased a couple of items that weren't on my list. My favorite Greek yogurt was $1.00 each so I bought two, and Mexican cheese that I use on salads was on sale for $2.29. It should last the month. I allowed myself those two indulgences only after I'd found everything on my list and was in budget.

My biggest expense was a whole, organic, free range chicken. It was marked down to $12.61 and took over 1/3 of my budget. After cutting it up I'll get seven meals from that purchase. I'll stretch that bird to last the month.

Next week is going to be more challenging. My produce purchase is going to increase. As I was shopping today, I began to understand why people turn away from fruits and veggies when their buying power is limited. It's hard to determine how much you're spending! Unless an item was marked per piece or with a container price, I was weighing everything I selected. I used my calculator to get an approximate cost. None of the scales available at the store were set correctly further complicating the process.

The second challenge is that I've decided to write about my adventure this month. I'm hopeful I can do it daily. I'm going to share observations, some pictures, and maybe a recipe or two.

I'd love your thoughts, ideas, and input... and if you'd like to join me, that would be terrific!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...